Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tyler's-at-Grad-school meal of the week the beginning!


Tyler started Grad school this last thursday night and I quickly discovered what a 16 hour day with just me and Roman looks like... YIKES!

I think it was about 5 in the afternoon when a panic snuck in that I wasn't gonna get a break for at least 6 more hours ;) The good new is i'm TOTALLY exagerating! it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. We did go one 3 1 mile walks. we went to the library and we went to walmart.

I decided to try and make thursday nights a blessing by cooking a supper that I know Ty wouldn't really like if he was here. So the first night of cooking for one was an oriental chicken salad. I've had variations of this recipe before (my mother-in-law makes one that is TO-DIE-FOR-DELICIOUS!) I wanted to try and make something that I can tell how many calories are in it because i made it and also to try and keep it super cheap! so the challenge began! :)

I found a basic vinegar and oil salad dressing recipe that I just tweaked to work for this recipe. All I needed from walmart was some ramen noodles and vinegar. Everything else I had (which makes this a super cheap recipe- right under $1.00!)

Here's the ingredients (I just made one serving):
1. 1 cup lettuce shredded
2. 1/2 package of ramen (baked at 350 for 10 min)
3.1/2 cup chopped chicken breast
4. sprinkle of parmesan cheese

For the dressing I went ahead and made up a big batch so I can make a bunch for later salads:
4 T vinegar
1/2 cup EVOO
one package of ramen flavoring
6 packages of splenda (or 2 T of sugar)
pinch of salt and pepper

I only used about 2 T on my salad (it covers a lot!)

This has been all i've been eating for the last few meals! haha! it's pretty addicting!

Here's a pic of the finished project :)



No comments:

Post a Comment